In photography, a camera tripod is an important tool to stabilize and lift a camera or to support flashes or other photographic gear.
For photographers who constantly go on adventures with their cameras and gears long distances, weight is their main problem. We save the best way we can, leaving anything we think is not necessary to save some energy carrying them. This is a big problem, especially for those who are traveling by plane and feel bad paying extra bucks for additional camera backpack weight.
**Below, you'll find more detailed reviews, but you can also click links above to check current prices and read customer's reviews on Amazon.
Top 5 Best Carbon Fiber Tripod In 2017
Thankfully, the best carbon fiber tripod solves this issue. Tripods made of fiber carbon are approximately 30% lighter and outstandingly more firm compared to a metal tripod of the same size and body quality. They also reduce vibration more efficiently, which contributes to better images. These tripods are delightful to use, particularly if you need to take them far.
They are astonishingly light and very easy to carry. They are available in many sizes so you can make sure that there are one perfect for your camera.
Why Is It Important To Use Tripod?
Tripod is one of essential pieces of photography gear that is normally overlooked. The best carbon fiber tripod can take your photography or even capturing videos to a whole new level, yet not many people use it.
Carbon fiber tripods offer your camera a great support in almost any situation you can think of. The best carbon fiber tripod...
- Provides you more time to compose your photos.
- Allows you to shoot at slower speeds which sequentially, offers better depth of field
- Allows you to take pictures without holding the camera.
- Allows you to take similar images with no matter what settings you want
The best carbon fiber tripod comes with foam insulation all over the legs that adds bulkiness but makes a comfortable cushion when lugging the tripod on the shoulder. Search for one that has free legs that are just connected to the middle column just at the top. These will normally let you place the tripod nearly flat on the ground.
Tripods made of carbon fiber offer great stiffness, but they are normally more expensive than those made of aluminum. You have to remember that even though they’re durable, a straight impact could smash a carbon fiber leg while just causing a little dent on an aluminum one.
Tripods are intended to offer you vended support for the camera. With that being said, you have to find one that goes up to coarsely your eye height and skip any with a middle column that goes up any further. Raising the center column refutes the benefits of your robust tripod, so as much as possible, try to avoid them. It may be possible to get rid of the center column and support your tripod head straight to your legs. If this is not a choice, ensure to keep the middle column as far down since it will go and get the lock.
Most fiber carbon tripods come without a tripod head. There are a lot of options here, and personal taste normally comes into the picture. Here are some things to consider when buying the best carbon fiber tripod:
- Most cheap tripods come with a tilt head. These are those that have two knobs you have to turn so as to move the head all over. Try to avoid these at all costs. They’re not easy to use, and if you’re learning to use a tripod, these will not give you good results.
- Ball heads are, without a doubt, the best ones you can find. They have one ball with a rod on top where you put the camera. They offer easy and quick movement, and the better ones let you adjust the resistance or tension of the movement letting very fine tunings.
You have to remember that the ball heads aren’t very ideal for cameras with big lenses. If you’re shooting with big lenses, then you may want to consider a gimbal-type design.
- Make use of a quick release as they will allow you to mount and un-mount your camera from your tripod immediately. To use these, attach a plate to the bottom of your camera, and then simply click the plate on your camera into the ball head. Place a plate on each camera body and every lens that needs them. You do not want to be swapping plates every time you change the body of your camera. You have to remember that the plates have to be well-matched with your quick-release system.
- Making use of a tripod offers you time to produce your image and forces you to see what you are creating. They could be a little awkward in the beginning, but with a bit of practice, they’re going to be easy. Make sure to use one on your next shoot and see for yourself how it makes your shooting a lot easier and better.
The Best Carbon Fiber Tripod Brands
There are a lot of tripod brands in the market, and choosing the one for your needs is not very simple. So, to help you, here is our list of top 5 beast carbon fiber tripod:
This tripod is totally solid and good piece of gear. This tripod is one of the best tripods you can find at this price point.
Its carbon fiber is tremendously well-built. You will see no rough spots, the design is even, and there are completely no creaks. It has extension twists that work impeccably and has an extremely strong hold. Its fold-down size is unbelievable, and at only more than 5lbs for the whole thing. Its ball heads are made of metal – from its ball joint itself to all of the adjacent plates and knobs.
This definitely holds for a long time. The detachable legs add brilliance to this monopod. It’s extremely rigid, and with the delightful extension twists, it remains very light. It has a compass and a camera mount for the top of the one leg.
- It has well-built design
- It comes with a nylon carrying bag
- It is smooth and stable
- Its leg lock is not very secure
Zomei Z888C is another carbon fiber tripod that has got extremely firm 3-Segment Joining tube. The type legs of this tripod are made of a new generation of high-quality carbon fiber. Zomei claims that they’re using eight layer different angles carbon fiber amazed plastic-coated together with high-temperature high pressure and curing firming polymeric design. Its legs perform well and very durable.
Even if you see the tube to fully-extended, it is not going flex under pressure of your hand. It has push button-locks that help in adjusting the legs at different angles freely and proves its quality. Locking-unlocking action is astonishingly smooth and you can easily setup the Zomei Z888C immediately. Furthermore, it is worth noting that its construction is resistant to corrosion and heat and corrosion.
- It is very sturdy and durable
- It is practically compact and lightweight
- Its legs are self-sufficiently adjustable
- It has smooth twist-lock mechanism
- It can be turned into a monopod
- It supports great amount of weight
- It comes with good quality nylon bag
- Its ball head could be better
- Its pan isn’t that smooth
- It has no retractable spikes on the feet
Based in Cassola, Italy, Manfrotto has been producing high-quality tripods since the mid-1970s. Today, part of the Vitec Group that is also the owner of the brands Bogen and Gitzo, Manfrotto is offering a great range of tripods and monopods that cover all price points and possible purposes. Although they are more expensive compared to most carbon fiber tripod you will find on the market today; you can say that you are getting what you pay for.
This is a rigid tripod that offers all extension levels, with completely extended legs, is only the proper height for eye level photography without the middle extension. They are very light which makes them perfect for traveling. On top of a Manfrotto ball head, this tripod is very versatile.
- It is very stable
- Its center column could be set at 90° to legs
- Its locks are easy to operate
- It has no padded carrying case.
- It can be more compact
For the features this carbon fiber tripod offers, this should be considered good value. It is very lightweight and carrying it is very easy. Its legs have many different positions and extending it shouldn’t be a problem. It can be folded compactly so traveling with it should be easy. It also offers monopod options.
This tripod works perfectly with most DSLR cameras. It is frivolous, and the carbon fiber legs are very impressive. Every foot is amplified pleasantly so if you have to slide it on a hardwood floor you’ll not dent the floor, and it is going to glide smoothly.
- It is lightweight and very portable
- It folds up smoothly without much effort
- Its quick release plate makes it easy to control
- It can be converted into a hiking stick
- It has adjustable height and easy to use locking device
- It comes with a bag
- It has stable legs
- Its locks are a bit stiff.
- Its ball head is too small for some
The Dolica ZX600B103 60" Carbon Fiber Tripod with Ball Head is an upgraded material that is known for its lightweightness, resistance to vibration and greater torsional stability compared to aluminum. With a max height of 60", the ZX600B103 is a suitable height for most people.
This tripod makes use of a traditional ball head design with distinct control for tilt and pan. Other advanced features consist of bubble level on the compass and tripod. The comfort foam grips also make it suitable for handling purposes. The 3-angle leg locks let multi-angle tripod placing. Last of all, it includes with padded nylon case for better storage.
- It comes with high-quality carrying bag.
- It is very sturdy for big cameras
- It has high-quality head balls
- Its mounting plate has a safety release
- Its big knob to lock the ball head in position isn’t smooth and is slightly stiff
- Its legs cannot be completely locked at the three possible positions
- One of the three foam pads twists on the leg
My advice is...
No matter which one you choose among these five best carbon fiber tripod, you can assure that you are going to get a high-quality tripod. Now, it depends on you which one you think suits you best depending on your budget and your needs.
Are you looking for cheap one but can compromise some position restrictions and stiffness? Then buy Dolica ZX600B103 Professional 60-Inch ZX Series Carbon Fiber Tripod. Are you looking for mid-range carbon fiber tripod that offers high-quality features? Then choose either BONFOTO Carbon Fiber B671C Lightweight Portable Camera Travel Tripod or Zomei Z888C Ball Head Compact and Carbon Fiber Tripod.
If you have the budget, however, and want to take advantage of a high quality tripod fully, then one of the best options you will find on the market today is Manfrotto MT055CXPRO4 055 Carbon Fiber 4-Section Tripod with Horizontal Column.
So, which one you think is best for you and why? Tell us in the comment below!