The best backpacks for hiking are practical for different outdoor activities such as trekking, hiking, mountaineering, cycling, or even skiing. It makes things convenient for both quick weekend trips and longer mountain adventures.
Backpacks are also commonly known as rucksacks or knapsacks. While doing outdoor activities, people would rather use backpacks than handbags due to its capability to carry heavy loads. Backpacks for hiking are usually made either with an external frame, internal frame, or sometimes, frame-less. It could be designed consequently either to improve the carrying capacity or to cut the overall weight.
**Below, you'll find more detailed reviews, but you can also click links above to check current prices and read customer's reviews on Amazon.
Top 5 Best Backpack For Hiking In 2017
For some people, hiking is an actual sport and for others, it’s nothing but a fascinating hobby. You can’t do hiking without the use of proper gear, which is very important for people who hike for them to carry out the activity easily and efficiently. A good backpack must have adequate carrying space in order for the hiker to carry everything he needs.
You have to know, however, that there are some important things you have to keep in mind before buying the best backpack for hiking.
Features to look for in a hiking backpack
Selecting the best backpack is pretty confusing. If you’re new to hiking, you certainly have a tough time looking for the right one for you. Many people choose their bags according to how they look like. However, the best backpack for hiking shouldn’t be based on their style or color. Hiking is not a fashion show so its appearance shouldn’t be your priority. Its purpose functions should be the one you have to keep in mind all the time.
When comparing backpacks, try evaluating all features and deliberate the benefits they have. Through this, you will easily be able to choose one that is perfect for you. Below are the important features you have to consider when shopping for the best hiking bag.
- Capacity - When you’re on your hike, you have to keep in mind that it is important to make sure that you will be able to bring all things you need. Consider the length of your trip in order to know whether you need a small backpack or a bigger one. This way, you will be able to evaluate what size of backpack you need for your trip. Hikers usually choose backpacks that have sufficient space for both quick and longer trips.
So, they are able to use it whenever they go hiking. See if there are sufficient pockets for storage. It’s not a good idea to load your little backpack and put other things out of the bag. This can lead to disturbance throughout the trip.
- Waterproof - You can’t expect that whenever you’re going for a hike the weather is nice. Get yourself ready for the worst. Your tools and equipment have to be protected from sudden rain or event where you're likely to be wet. The best backpack for hiking should have this feature. You wouldn’t like getting your clothes and other stuff dripped from the water. It would also make weight heavier when it absorbs water. Luckily, finding waterproof backpack is not difficult.
- Properly fit – You may feel like it is a little strange to fit a backpack, but for experienced hikers, they’re very worried about the right fit of the backpacks. Since you’ll be carrying it the entire time, you have to make sure that you are comfortable when you wear them. Try them on, you need to make sure that the shoulder harness, hip belt, and every strap perfectly suits your frame. For females, there are specific backpacks that are designed for their frames.
- Load distribution – If you’re planning to go on a longer trip, you’ll surely have to bring more things. The heavier weight will need for your backpack to have more practical features. It is to put up with all the essential items for your activity.
There are a lot more other features that you may want to consider before deciding to buy the best backpack for hiking. But these are only the basic features that will help you make the most of your hike.
You must also remember that it is the best idea to always invest on the good one. Although it costs a little more, you will have the best one for you. However, it doesn’t mean you have to go for the most expensive ones as there are much lesser known brands that provide high-quality products.
Top 5 best backpack for hiking in 2017
Choose your backpack now and make the most of your hiking trip! Below, we listed down our personal pick of the top best backpack for hiking you can find on the market today. This may give you an idea on which one to buy.
TETON Sports Scout 3400 Internal Frame backpack is a great light backpack perfect for any hiking. It will provide you with a smart idea of what backpacks could do and how pleasant they can be without compromising the looks and functions. The main quality and material option are great, suggesting that you are going to get a substantial measure of use before you need a replacement.
Designed to meet the requirement you are looking for at a very affordable amount, the TETON Sports Scout 3400 is a pliable backpack that will try its best to deal with your issues while you hike. This backpack has adaptable torso length, well-padded body care, and breathable lumbar support.
On the top of that, it comes with many compartments and well-padded shoulder straps that offer pad affect. Because of all these, this hiking backpack will surely give you a very comfortable hiking experience.
A considerable measure of space is given on the outside too to help you store all that required during any expedition or hiking. An additional advantage of the TETON Sports Scout is the yellow rainfly. Concealed and shrouded, it is not seen until the climate goes rainy. It will give a very good coverage for your gear inside the backpack to keep the apparatus dry during rain.
- Its compact internal frame has rain cover
- It is suitable for long-term hikes with as it has bigger capacity of 55 liters
- It has height-adaptable straps to attain sizes suitable for you
- It is very durable
- It is not compatible with many hydration systems
- Its contoured pads can be improved
Like I mentioned earlier, the appearance of the backpack is not the important, however, it doesn’t mean that it is not possible to find a backpack that will provide you with good looks. Beauty and purpose – these things take Coreal Hiking Foldable Backpack away from the rest.
The Coreal hiking backpack is one of the trendiest waterproof backpacks you can find on the market today. This backpack is made from an excellent water and rip resistant nylon. It offers a long lasting performance and is very lightweight.
Having this bag around, essentially, shows a lot of individuality due to its smooth and sophisticated design. This backpack is not only ideal for hiking, but also a good choice for day-to-day use, random traveling, and for going to the beach.
If you are walking outdoor and get caught in the rain, you don’t have to worry about your electronics as they’ll be kept safe and dry inside the backpack. It offers sufficient space for carrying your clothes, electronics, and other stuff.v
- It is pretty fashionable
- It offers a great amount of space
- It comes in very nice colour
- It is not that easy to clean when it gets dirty
The Mountaintop 70L+10L Hiking Backpack is an excellent backpack that’s fit for hiking, camping, and backpacking. It is designed to give you total comfort and all-out versatility. It has a big compartment, smaller secondary compartment, and a compartment for a sleeping bag.
Furthermore, it has a bladder compartment that gives an access to hydration as well as mesh side compartments that will make sure your stuff is well-organized. The bag is made of a nylon fabric that simply slides water aside before it absorbs in case it rains while you’re hiking.
Its interior frame system supports the pack and redistributes a load of its contents throughout the body by putting most of the weight to the hips and legs. Its hip belt is protected with plastic and it is easily adjustable. The breathable and padded mesh shoulder straps deliver comfy fit while making sure that there’s proper air circulation on your shoulder and back.
- It has an 8-level adjustable system which makes the bag comfortable for the user
- It is very spacious and comes with a rain cover that keeps your gear protected
- It comes with space for a water reservoir
- It doesn’t have a detachable day pack
- Its water bladder is too small
Another backpack for hiking that we like is SUNVP 45L+5L Hiking Backpack. It is another extremely rugged backpack today, which means that it is recommended for everyday use. My favorite thing about this, however, is the design.
Most of the hiking backpacks you will find today have a zipper or clamshell opening that is unprotected to the unwanted elements. However, through the help of this bag, you can make sure that the main compartment has a thick flap to cover it so it means you don’t have to worry when it rains.
Similar to other bags mentioned here, this backpack is MOLLE compatible and has two additional packs. This means you can easily get your drink whenever you need one. All in all, you will like its design and features.
- It is fade-resistant
- It is made of durable nylon construction
- It is made of waterproof material
- It comes with different colours for you to choose from
- It has thick padding that will give you extra comfort when worn
- Its shoulder and chest straps can support heavy weight
- It has water holders on both sides
- Its chest straps might come undone under stress
- It is not as big as other models
Last on our list is Gonex Military Molle Backpack. This is another durable, water-resistant backpack that is perfect for hiking. It would not get dented when you are outside. There’s a rain cover located in the bottom of the backpack. You are able to get the rain cover whenever you need it. This bag is made of 900D Oxford material which makes it durable.
Another amazing feature of it is how it makes your back cool. Its airflow channels use a high resistance sponge that keeps the air flowing and to keep you dry and cool all the time. Its weight distribution system is changeable to different sizes to make it perfect for anyone wearing it.
The main compartment of this backpack is big enough to hold a big, heavy laptop. It contains four compartments where you can place your stuff in. its MOLLE system lets you take advantage of extra pockets for extra storage. You are able to put small items pockets on the MOLLE system.
- It has attached rain cover which is very convenient when you need it
- Its zipper covers the whole compartment
- It has five pockets within the pack
- It has MOLLE attachments throughout the pack
- Its height can be adjusted to three positions
- It could not be sunken in water
- The stitching may not be well done
- Its rain cover wouldn’t go over the bag if you put too much stuff in the bag
So, which one you think suits you best? Hopefully, this list helped you decide which one is perfect for you. No matter what your budget is and what your preferences are, there will surely be something perfect for what you need. So, depending on the size, color, features, or price fit you best, you can choose easily.
Do you know any brands of the best backpack for hiking that you think we missed? We regularly update our list, so let us know in the comment below!