If you’re planning to spend some time walking under the sun or taking photos of the wildlife, you have to know the importance of protecting your head from the heat of the sun or cold of the day.
There are a lot of types of headwear useful for hiking; the right option for you will rely on the environment wherein you plan to travel and what time of the year. Keep in mind that our body loses between 10% and 40% of its heat through the head, depending on what activities you get involved in.
**Below, you'll find more detailed reviews, but you can also click links above to check current prices and read customer's reviews on Amazon.
Top 5 best hiking hat in 2017
So, you will see the importance of wearing the right head cover for the weather conditions you’re likely to deal with. Luckily, there are a much bigger options available than in those days when it was truly between a hefty woolen hat, which even though warm could harm your skin and would keep wet if poured all of a sudden and getting a wet or cold head.
The best hiking hat is found in an extensive range of materials which are intended to be water-resistant, breathable, and windproof some are even constructed of a material which consists of UV protection. They are like sleep sack, except they are against hot instead of cold.
So, why hiking hats are important?
First of all, sun hats are necessary as they contribute to preventing skin cancer. Statistics show that people risk themselves to skin cancer every day because of too much contact from the sun. You’re likely to acquire skin cancer because of being exposed to UV rays. It is said that prevention is better than cure, which is why in order to avoid skin cancer, you have to wear protective clothing like hiking hat.
Another reason why it is importance is that because sun exposure can increase the process of aging and consecutively you’ll create signs like brown spots, wrinkles, saggy skin, crows' feet, and hyper-pigmentation. You’ll age faster as the heat radiated by the sun rays abolishes the coating of the skin because of straight sun contact. In other words, you need to make sure that when the sun is hottest, you have to make sure that you’re wearing your hat.
Choosing the Best Hiking Hat
Now you know the importance of wearing hiking hat for when you are outdoor choosing the best hiking hat would be the next thing you have to think through. Below are important tips you may want to follow when buying the best hiking hat.
- Coverage and protection - You need to keep in mind that no matter what clothes you are wearing, covering your face is not always possible. That’s why hats are necessary, most particularly throughout the summer. You must also know that throughout the summer you might be forced to wear light clothing which might be sleeveless which leaves your hands and shoulders exposed to the rays of the sun. In terms of choosing a sun hat, you need to ensure you select one which has a wide exterior area that covers your entire shoulders and head.
- Material - Some hats might be too thin. Hats made of thin materials may not block the harmful rays release by the sun, so you may want to avoid this. On the other hand, there are hats that may be too heavy which makes the wearer uncomfortable which may also cause mild headaches. In situations like this, you must pick a hiking hat which is both light and have enough material to stop sun rays from being exposed.
- UV Protection - We know that without sunblock lotion, we are easily able to harm our skin when exposed to ultraviolet rays. Most of us really don't consider the harm that could ensue to the top of the head every time it is exposed to the sun for a whole afternoon. And that’s why a hiking hat is very important. Together with a good sunblock SPF product, a sun protection hat is a must-have accessory for summer.
To put it briefly, having a great understanding of how important hiking hats are will provide you with a better understanding of the reason as to why you need to wear one while outdoors.
Top 5 Best Hiking Hats
If you like exploring the outdoors at any weather, investing in a hiking hat to keep you covered from the sun and rain would always be a great idea.
A daily task such as walking the dog could become tiring when the rain pours in – but hiking hats offer comfort and practicality. Stopping the rain and keeping yourself dry from the wet weather is not that hard with these gears.
You could easily throw put hats in your suitcase when going on for a trip, as you can fold them without damaging them. Hiking hats are normally light, small, and versatile, you are able to explore the deepest jungle with your head all protected.
This is one of the most popular hats for hiking, not only for its protection but also the fact that it is available in different colors. The Columbia Sportswear Bora Bora Booney II Sun Hat has the Skin Cancer Foundation’s seal that is very beneficial for the wearer.
This hat offers UPF 50+ protection, which says that it blocks out about 98% of damaging UVA and UVB rays. This hat comes with a draw cord and a clasp on your back. It also comes with an adaptable chin strap. It comes with a big mesh section on the crown that offers great breathability and ventilation. Its 3-inch brim goes all the way around. Over the brim, you have webbing that allows you to attach the hat to your backpack whenever you don’t want to use them anymore.
- It is made of high-quality, durable materials
- Its brim are not stiff and easily foldable
- It has soft, comfortable strap which makes it comfortable to wear on the neck
- Its mesh part doesn’t offer protection
- It is only available in one size
This hat is made of 100 % polyester with the ultraviolet protection factor of 50 +. The brim is about 3 inches in width. The logo of the company is embroidered on the top of the hat. There are 8 lines of stitching on the brim of the hat as well.
There are 13 colors for you to choose from including khaki, black, red and pink. It is available in one size with an adjustable drawstring for fixing the hat, especially on windy days. If you look for fishing or gardening hat with solid color and basic design, you can consider this product of lady sun hats.
- The mesh area near the top of the hat provides extra breathability and ventilation for your head on a hot summer day.
- The lines on the sun hat are stitched carefully for extra sturdiness and durability with no loose threads
- It is very lightweight and comfortable to wear with the inner strings not too tight that it would not leave red marks on your forehead.
- It is a little bit smaller for some
This hiking hat comes with a big bill and a huge detachable flap. It’s made from 100% of nylon. There are two mesh side panels with two big meshed brass holes for extra ventilation.
This hat offers the ultraviolet guard feature of 50+. You are able to choose from five different colors: khaki, gray, black, red rose, and dark gray. It’s available in one size with an easy to change chin cord. It is made of high-quality nylon polyester cotton blend, which has lightweight, quick-drying, cozy, and soft features.
It also offers UPF 50+ to protect you from harmful UVB and UVA rays. Its long neck flap features protect your neck from sunburn, and hidden neck flap to be turned as bucket hat for everyday use. it will surely make your hiking experience a lot better and more comfortable!
If you want to buy one of the men’s sun hat protection hats with full coverage, you can consider this model of hats. This is a good hat for many outdoor activities such as boating, fishing, and gardening.
- It is extremely durable and weatherproof
- It offers full coverage not only for the face but also the neck
- It is soft, lightweight, and quick drying
- It is easily foldable which makes it easy for you to carry it around
- Its side flap may come off easily
- The Velcro material located on the side might rub against your forehead in case the hat is a bit tight
High-quality materials are used to create this hat, it is usually lightweight, weighing 88 grams only, and it offers great UV protection, with the UPF factor of more than 50. This hat’s brim is hardened with foam, and the similar foam makes the hat float if you drop it in the water. The brim is sizing 3 inches to 3 ¾, so it’s rather big everywhere.
This offers a great protection from the sun rays and your face will be covered most of the time. But at the same time, this size implies it may be uneven in strong wind conditions. The hat has venting openings all over the crown, which is certainly an amazing feature to have for ventilation and better breathability. It has chin cord is long and with a lock, you’ll like to use it particularly in strong wind conditions. It also has a removable cord that helps for easy wearing.
Its back has a draw cord with a clip, to regulate the hat to your head fringe. This hat has a moisture wicking headband, and its crown has a mesh as an additional layer.
- It’s very comfortable and breathable
- It has good protection
- Its packs down to a good size so you can take it anywhere
- It has wide brim
- It is bad in wind
- It doesn’t have neck protections
Another hat that will give you ultimate protection while hiking is MG Men’s Washed Cotton Twill Chin Cord Outdoor Hat. This hat is made from a distinctive combination of cotton and polyester, this hat offer far-fetched protection for any kind of activity and weather. It features a traditional camouflage design overall; this hat has a wide 2-inch brim and 3-inch high crown and also come with a bullet belt wrapping all over the whole cap.
For extra comfortable and toughness, this hat also boasts ventilation holes on the crown to offer circulation and an adaptable fabric chin cord, which allows you to choose the best fit for your comfort. Entirely flexible, this hat is great to bend and throw in your bag no matter what quest you might be going.
This is mad of 100% cotton which makes it tremendously comfortable to wear. The hat offers total protection against raging heat and sunshine and stops tanning of the skin. It’s typically used for the tactical purpose and outdoor activities
- It is made of 100% cotton which makes sure utmost comfort to wearer
- It is stylish and easily to wash
- It has bullet belt of the border of the hat adds to its greater aesthetics
- Multipurpose size available which range from medium to large size
- It has an adjustable chin strap that holds the hat in correct position on the head
- It has four messed brass holes for releasing the heat
- It is mostly appropriate for use for tactical purpose
- It has wide brim from maximum protection
- It has high-quality construction and aimed for ideal fit
- It may not very comfortable in extremely hot weather
- It is reported to shrink on prolonged used
My advice is...
So, which one you think is best for you? If you are looking for hiking hat that is budget friendly, you will never go wrong with MG Men’s Washed Cotton Twill Chin Cord Outdoor Hat and Camo Coll Outdoor UPF 50+ Boonie Hat Summer Sun Caps. If you have more budget and want extra features, then go for Columbia Sportswear Bora Bora Booney II Sun Hats, Outdoor Research Sombriolet Sun Hat, or Ddyoutdoor™ 07-281 Fashion Summer Outdoor Sun Protection Fishing Cap Neck Face Flap Hat Wide Brim.
So, which one you think suits you best and why? Let us know in the comment below!